March 2, 2008 at 10:47 pm 2 comments

Well, I am home from the hospital.  Actually I got home on Friday, but it has been kind of crazy and I haven’t had much time to update.

I started the liquid diet on Friday.  It was hellish.  I hated every minute of it, but I stayed strong.  It paid off too.  I lost 15 lbs by Wednesday! 

I had to be at the hospital at 6 am on Thursday.  We got there and went to admitting.  Then I was sent to outpatient surgery for prep.  At about 8, they took me downstairs to surgery holding.  Dr. M. came by to see me.  I gave my history, repeatedly, and met the anesthesiologist.  He attempted my IV four times.  Apparently, I have deep fragile veins.  Blah.  A little bit later, I was rolled into the operating room and put on the table.  Within a few minutes, I was told to breathe deeply into the mask and the next thing I knew it was 11 am and I was in recovery.  I have sleep apnea so I was told I might be put on my cpap as soon as I got into recovery, but apparently I did really well and didn’t need the cpap.  I slowly came around and then waited. And waited. And waited some more.  Dr. M. wanted me to go to ICU for the night because of my apnea, and they were waiting for a room to open.  Finally I got into my room at about 3 pm.  Eric hung around for a little bit then went to his mom’s to pick up the kids and go home.  I slept off and on, and felt ok.  I had a morphine pump, which I tried not to hit too much. 

I started trying to go to sleep around 10 and finally fell asleep after midnight. At 2:40, I was woken up and told that someone needed my room and I was being moved.  I was not happy.  I wasn’t able to get up very well, and the nurses seem to know nothing about cpap machines.  They were all weird and suspicious when I told them I needed distilled water (I was to have nothing to eat or drink until the next day).  They just threw my machine in the bag to take down to the new room and the new nurse set it up practically falling off the table.  I was super annoyed about being moved.  They didn’t look at my chart or seem to know what was going on, they offered me something to drink, etc.  Then I got woken up at 4:30 for vitals, 5:30 for labs and 5:55 for a blood sugar.  Ugh.  I just wanted to sleep!  Then at like 9 am, they came to get me to go for an upper GI swallow test to see how my band looked.  I got back from that and fell asleep.  I can’t remember who came in but later they came in and got an attitude because I’d been asleep the first time they came by. Oh, so sorry, I’m just trying to heal and get some damn sleep.  I was finally discharged at about 5 pm, after nagging the nurse, then having to send Eric home to meet Christian’s bus and him coming back for me.  They seemed to not realize I was there for a one night deal and I was NOT staying longer.  I was not overly impressed with the hospital at all and I really hope I don’t have to go back there for anything.

Overall, recovery is going well.  I’m a little sore, but not too much now.  I’m getting around pretty well.  It is a struggle to make sure I drink enough (still only on clear liquids) because I’m just not really hungry.  I see Dr. M for a post-op check on Mon March 10.


Entry filed under: medical, surgery, weight loss.

Liquid diet Yum…cream soup…?!

2 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Kimberly B Hawkins  |  March 3, 2008 at 2:14 pm

    Hi – I stumbled across your blog while looking at a google news alert. I hope that everything is going well for you! I had a gastric bypass on 11/15/07 – and have lost 52 pounds so far. It’s been a long road, but I’m getting it all under control as best I can.

    Feel free to check out my blog as well… I’ve got a blog friend that had a Lap Band in November as well – I can hook you up with her blog as well if you’re interested.

  • 2. karli  |  March 5, 2008 at 2:01 pm

    thinking of you, jaime, take it easy, eh?! so glad to hear the surgery went well, boo hiss to the ignorant nurses. ((((jaime))))


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Surgery date: 2.28.08
Highest weight: 350 lbs
Surgery weight: 339 lbs
Current weight: 262 lbs
Goal weight: 175 lbs
March 2008
« Feb   Apr »

Recent Posts


%d bloggers like this: